Saturday, March 6, 2010

The (Naked) Sauna...

I love saunas. Having a nice sauna bath followed by steam room is my usual routine after an intense workout session at the gym. They say this Finnish tradition has countless benefits to our body & skin health. It removes toxins in our blood streams, increases heart rate which in turns encourage better metabolism and blood circulation. What's not to like?!
The ONE thing that I don't get here in Switzerland (or perhaps most part of Europe?), is the "naked" sauna. Of course I wouldn't want to be wearing clothes being in a 70C room. But we are talking about birth day suit butt-naked, where bikinis and swim trunks are apparently "forbidden" in these CO-ED saunas. So men and women walked in, remove their towels and place it on the bench, and lied/sit their "naked butts" down. I understand the whole phenomenon of "nothing to be ashamed of". I consider myself in a reasonable good shape but I don't see why a little bit of "coverage" should be "forbidden" for those who just don't want to exhibit it "all". Now respecting the right of nudists sure is important, but why should the rest of us sauna-lovers not be offered a choice?
I hang on to my towel or position myself where no key areas are exposed to any "naked" eye. Call me a prude :) As natural as we all should act as if nakedness is "normal", it would be a lie if people tell you that they don't "stare"...

1 comment:

Nikisha said...

Funny you should mention this. I thought it's a big issue with Americans but apparently not in NY! Guess we can count Japan, NY and now Europe into this big family of naked saunas. I am ok if I'm allowed to keep my towel on. Honestly, it's just way too hot!